Thursday, January 14, 2016

Torino Adventures

What a week! I can't believe we've been here a whole week already. So many emotions, so many adventures, so many pictures.

This Monday, I made the first, of many, mistake. I decided it would be a good idea to stay in the suite and just let the kids have a mellow day. HAHAHAHAHA...that is me laughing at myself. Mellow days lead to meltdowns, sibling fights, wrestling on beds, lots of noise, etc. It turns out we shouldn't do home days at the suite. We were all frazzled by the end of the day. Lesson learned!

Tuesday, I knew we had to get out of this place. So, we headed to the metro to buy a week pass for the subway. Well, we did not know how to pay with a credit card at the first metro station. So we started walking toward the next one closest to Porta Nuova. Finally! I saw the card button on the screen! We were able to get week passes for the five of us on the metro. Yay! We even got on the subway successfully and went in the right direction. I was feeling pretty proud of myself. Do you know what they say about pride? That whole "pride cometh before a fall" was my motto for the day. We made it to Porta Nuova and headed to Palazzo Madama, again. Turns out, it was closed. So, we headed to Palazzo Reale. Either the lady didn't understand a lick of English or she didn't like the looks of us, but she just answered "no" when I asked about a year pass for the museums. Okey dokey. It was lunchtime, by this point, so we started walking. And walking. And walking. We ended up on a major street in downtown Torino. We ducked into a restaurant because of the plates in the front window. I am not sure if they were just not serving lunch yet or what, but the menu only had beverages on it. We left and headed toward the subway station. Luckily, we found a salad and pasta joint. Boo and I shared a small salad, KK and Little J had Baby Pastas and J Jr. had a big pasta. We all liked it. The kids want to go back. I was very fortunate that God still gave us a good day, despite my pride in my own abilities.

 Statue in Piazza Carlo Felice

Fountain at Piazzo Carlo Felice 
Twin churches at Piazza San Carlo

A photobomber 

Via Carlo Alberto - the view of the Alps was amazing, but not captured on film 

The next day, Joe had to do some stuff for our immigration process. We hung out at the suite until he returned and had lunch with us. Right after lunch, we headed to Parco Valentino to expend some energy. This park is perfect for the kids. It had a nice playground and an area to do some exercises. It was good to get rid of some energy, for the kids and myself.

Fountain of the months in Parco Valentino 

 I think July-December in the months

January-June

Waterfall feature in Parco Valentino 

Some sort of person statue thingie 

More cascading water 







Medieval Village

Today, we headed to Lingotto Mall after lunch. We checked out the toy store, had some gelato, and played in the playpark twice. Yes, that's right, the mall has an indoor playpark. No, not like the Florence, KY play area. They have full-sized equipment in there. The kids loved it! I loved the energy being used. I must also say, we might all be addicted to gelato. It was fairly inexpensive at 10 EU for five of us. Oh man, it is yummy. 

Some adventures, and misadventures, from our second week in Torino! And now I must bid you buona notte.

No comments:

Post a Comment