Friday, January 29, 2016

Wifi never looked so sweet...

So, I have to admit a dark secret about myself. I have an idol and its name is technology. Over the past week, I've tried to slay this dragon of mine. I'm not sure I'm there yet. I've been reading "Gospel Treason" by Brad Bigney, who just so happens to be the pastor of Grace Fellowship Church, where we attended for 1 1/2 years, until we moved. I am seeing many things in my life that I hold as idols. It is eye-opening and scary. I really recommend the book, if you are ready to slay your dragons, too.

Back to WiFi...we are back online! I'm afraid I have already spent more time on the internet today than is humanly reasonable. In my own defense (because that is a totally unhealthy way to slay your idols...by defending them!), I have been out of contact with anyone but my kids and husband for almost a week. We have had no internet, my cell phone only made local calls and I don't have a vehicle. We are also in a location where we cannot easily walk anywhere. A vehicle is a necessity, unless you want to walk to get the world's best pizza. We haven't even had this pizza yet...we've just been told. I am basking in the glory of WiFi bars, and it isn't pretty.

Speaking of pizza, we've been consuming it in massive quantities. Is it full of gluten? Yes. Am I miserable from eating it? Yes. I've decided that I will use this opportunity to get truly tested for Celiac instead of getting tests run when I've been gluten free for 3 years. I'm hoping for more accurate results. Only issue, which is a big one, is we don't have national insurance yet. We need to look into this further. I'm hoping I can go to a doctor on our private insurance and bypass the whole other issue. Prayers sent for this to work out for us. I really can't continue to eat gluten for much longer. Every joint hurts, digestion is out of control, skin breakouts are worse than a teenagers, etc. I am almost in disbelief over how bad I've felt. Ugh! I was really hoping I'd be better on Italian wheat. Apparently not!

On to bigger and brighter things! We are in our house and loving it! It has so much room for the kids to play and explore. The yard (or gardens, if you're Italian) is spacious and fenced/gated. I can send the kids out and not worry about them escaping or someone kidnapping them. Yay! Our air shipment arrived last Monday, so we started back to book school on Tuesday. I'm pretty confident that learning how to maneuver an international move, exploring Torino, all our adventures on the way to Pozzuoli, exploring Pozzuoli, moving in the new house, etc. are all learning experiences. Still, it has been nice to get back into a routine and have some of our old stuff from home. I thought about posting some new photos to show you the house, but I guess I've been there, done that. I will post a pic of the kids. I think the grandparents will enjoy it. You're welcome! (Prego, in Italian.)

The kids in the homeschool room

I feel now would be a good time to send a shout out to our super-de-duper landlord, Ryan! He has been an incredible blessing for us. He took Joe to show him how to get me a cell phone, where the butcher shop, home improvement store, and electronics stores are, helped order a new washing machine, came to help us get our WiFi installed, etc. We have found out that this is not common. He speaks English, to boot! Once again, God provides. We would not have been able to do half of this stuff without his help. Or we would have been overcharged or waiting for months for these services. We have been able to get WiFi within a week of moving in the house! This is unheard of in Italy, especially for an ex-pat. Thanking God for a great landlord that is willing to help us with so much.

Another big shout out to my new friend, Marta, for helping navigate the homeschooling world in Italy. I still have some work to do, but she has helped tremendously! We are headed to their house tomorrow night for a dinner. I am so excited about this. Knowing my luck and past history, I will come down with the flu or something. Whenever something fun is planned, someone is sick. Praying for health and vitality tomorrow evening!

I guess it is time to start thinking about dinner. Tonight's gluten offering is tortellini with marinara and probably a side salad. Just a note...salad dressing here is literally a bottle of olive oil and a bottle of balsamic vinegar. The first person to visit and bring me a bottle of ranch dressing will get huge rewards. :) Buon appetito!

3 comments:

  1. Prego... For keeping us posted on your life in Italy, I enjoy reading your blog, I will bring a bottle of ranch dressing, but need need a reminded when we come. Love and miss all of you. Love, Nana Joyce
    Ps...like how I used prego for thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops. Read it wrong prego means you're welcome, So what is thank you in Italian? Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, grazie is thank you in Italian. Prego is "Welcome" or "You're welcome". Many people use it when you enter a restaurant or store, but also after you've said "Grazie". I'd love a bottle of ranch!
    Love you,
    Emily (and family)

    ReplyDelete