Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Decisions, decisions

Last winter, I embarked on a journey like no other.  I had decided to "research" homeschooling my daughter who was set to start kindergarten this fall.  I had no idea where this research would take me.

A little background into my Boo...she is a young K-er.  She turned 5 this past April and is stubborn, hard-headed, manipulative, sweet, snuggly, and extremely cute.  After considering her in a traditional school I realized she might be graduating without knowing how to read, write or add simple numbers simply because she has a way of getting others to do everything for her.  She was also already behind many of her same-age peers since she never felt the need to learn her letters/sounds or how to count.  The K teachers would not be pleased!

After contemplating sending Big J to 1st grade and keeping Boo home I realized another important thing about my children.  Big J did not enjoy school.  We would drop him off at school and he'd be a happy, fun 6-year-old.  When he would get off the bus after K, he would cry often, be grumpy and just be in a sour mood.  That's when I made the big decision...if I was going to HS Boo, I was going to HS Big J also.  Wow...what was I getting myself into?!?!

Luckily, with our proximity to Cincinnati, there was a HUGE homeschooling convention this past April which really reinforced my need to homeschool my kids.  It is a great fit for us...J Sr. even went and is now a big proponent of homeschooling in general but especially for our family.  If I knew last September what I know now, I would have kept Big J home last year and started him off at home too.

Gotta go...Big J is done writing his Proverb for the day and we have to start on phonics!

No comments:

Post a Comment