Wednesday, August 18, 2010

one room in the house...

Deciding where to do "school" was monumental.  We have a spare bedroom in the basement that would be excellent for school...but did we want to be stuck in the basement half the day?  Hanging out with the cobwebs and dreariness?  We also have a large playroom upstairs that used to be a family room.  But where would the other 2 play while we did school?  Was I ready to give up a playroom on the main floor of the house while the kids were still so young?

We decided to use our dining room for dual purpose.  Is this a royal pain in the rear?  Absolutely.  Would I do it any other way, right now?  Not on your life.  We have a pretty good system down now, and it works for us.  We get up, eat breakfast and "get ready" for the day and for school.  Everyone clears their bowls/plates from the table and we get down to it.  The night before, I usually pack their backpacks with the essentials so they just have to grab their backpacks off the bookshelf and we dive in. 

I have found that I need more "stuff" than should be necessary.  I like for my "stuff" to be fairly organized. 

I know this will evolve and change over time, but here are a few pics of our workspace.

My whiteboard and bulletin board...the bulletin board now has fun projects posted on it.

Our wall of work...there is now a bookshelf next to all of this...if I can figure out how to turn the pic and have it upload correctly I will post it also!
I know that eventually they will be able to take their schoolwork to their rooms and be more independent.  Until then, this works just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment