Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Where do we go from here?

After we finally decided that we were going to homeschool, we had the daunting task of picking a curriculum that would be right for our family.  We have 4 young children (Big J is 6, Boo is 5, KK is 4 and Little J is 1) and we did not want a curriculum that would take the entire day to finish.  We wanted it to be active learning.  We wanted our kids to read great books.  We wanted them to learn about God and grow closer to Him and his Word. 

Would we ever find this curriculum?  We went to the Midwest Homeschool Convention with the sole intention of finding a curriculum that would fit our family.  I went to every seminar on choosing the right curriculum and J Sr. went to every one about everything.  I learned about Cathy Duffy and her book on how to pick a curriculum.  I learned about learning styles (my own and the kids') and personality styles.  I was overwhelmed!

That is when Joe and I decided to head to the Vendor Hall.  This place was insane.  Vendors everywhere trying to sell you their wares.  Wow...that is about all I can say.  The vendors would come out of their spaces just to pursue you because they "know" their product is the best and the best for your family.  Once again, I was overwhelmed!

Joe and I kept pushing on...not making eye contact and certainly not stopping.  I kept thinking "why are we even in here?  we are like lambs led to the slaughter".  That is when I saw it...unassuming, clean, no one coming out to attack me.  The name was a name I had read about previously.  Could this be it?  We tentatively walked up and a nice lady (I at first thought she was another shopper) was standing there and we started chatting.  We soon found out she was with the curriculum...as a mom who uses it!  She told us about all the wonderful things...we were able to view the entire package and I fell in love.  Is it possible to fall in love with a Teacher's Manual...yes!  Is it possible to fall in love with a fun curriculum that you know your kids will love...yes!

So, what was this curriculum that I fell in love with, you ask?  My Father's World for K and 1st Grade.  I really feel that God led me straight to that table.  J Sr. and I even looked around more.  We went to the typical homeschooler's curriculums, where no one approached us.  It was like we had been branded that our minds were made up and no pressure was necessary.  There are other great curriculums out there...but none of them would have fit our family so well.  My Father's World follows the Charlotte Mason philosophy pretty closely (short lessons, alot of time for nature, reading living books to your children, etc) with some unit studies and classical education thrown into the mix.

So far, so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment